Side Effects of Iron Supplements:
What do you need to know?
What are the side effects of iron supplements and why do you need to know? These questions will be answered here.
The most critical side effect is death in children who accidentally overdose on iron containing products. This is the leading cause of poisoning death in children under 6 years of age.
Should accidental ingestion happen, get immediate medical attention or call your poison control center.
Common Side Effects of Supplementing with Iron
Note: These may be the result of using iron supplements. They may or may not happen. Everyone is different and the results are different too.
- stomach cramps
- vomiting(may happen in the first days as the body adjusts)
- stools may turn black or green in color(not harmful)
Note: if black sticky stools with or with out red streaks, cramping, soreness, sharp pains in the stomach or abdomen are present, you should immediately see a doctor or go to the Emergency Room to get further evaluated.
Less Common But Possible Side Effects
- abdominal or stomach pain
- cramping or soreness
- contact irritation
Serious Side Effects
The serious side effects of iron supplementation are only part of the Iron Supplements Risks. If you have any of these symptoms you will need to speak to your doctor immediately.
- severe stomach pains
- chest pain, clammy skin
- bluish-colored lips or fingernails
- other symptoms not listed above that start after taking iron supplements
These are the most common bad side effects of iron supplements.
Side Effect Risk verses Benefit Conditions
- Alcoholism current or past use: there may be increased absorption and increased liver storage of iron which could result in increase iron toxicity.
- Allergies (increased risk of adverse reaction with intravenous administration)
- Asthma (increased risk of adverse reaction with intravenous administration)
- Hepatitis or impaired liver function: possible excess accumulation of iron
- Kidney disease (acute or infectious): possible excess accumulation
- Repeated Blood transfusion recipients: risk of iron overload
Transferrin saturation is less sensitive to changes. In the bloodless medicine field it has been found to be more effective to use the TIBC. With suspected iron overload, TIBC and / or transferrin are monitored.
One Major Side Effect Benefit...
Boosting glutathione helps with 69 different diseases or conditions. Boosting your iron helps your body boost glutathione.
What is Your Glutathione Level?
Boost Your Glutathione
This is a brief overview. There are entire books on the topic. Although the focus of this information is on oral supplementation, asthma and allergies were included to further educate you on the need to give a complete medical history should medical care be needed.
You are not done yet. In addition to the side effects of Iron Supplements, there are a few more things you should know.
Iron Supplements Constipation
Iron Supplements Risks
Iron Nutritional Supplement Take a look at liquid iron supplements compared to dietary iron supplements.
Dietary Sources of Iron Dietary Sources of Iron: Your vitamins and minerals in your cupboard.
Cysteine: The Essential Glutathione Booster that iron makes work even better.
GlutahioneDiseaseCure: The Side Effects of Iron Supplements Resource